Part One in a Series of Insights about Literacy Development
I consider learning to read the most important aspect of education. Whether it be learning to read Arabic or English, reading is the gateway to learning. Learning to read Arabic allows us to access the Qur’an, and learning English allows access to learning all other subjects including Mathematics. This is why literacy is so important and why Taqwa School has made literacy a priority. You are your children’s very first teacher. You taught your child to take his first step and speak his first word. As your child grew, you taught him how to play, and to hold his first book and pencil. Your child grew into an independent youngster who is ready for formal education.
When your child begins school, we as their teacher do not take over education completely. We develop a partnership with you to help you support their education at home. From this week, I will share weekly tips on how to assist your child at home with their education to support their progress. I will share insights in how to support your child in literacy and numeracy from Kindergarten to Year Six.
This week I will share ideas that you may not have thought of that supports literacy development in reading.
- When reading to your child, allow them child to hold the book.
- Turn off all electronic devices and give your child 10 minutes of undivided attention of reading.
- Include reading in your daily routine, such as straight after school, or just before bed.
- Encourage your child to read independently.
- Keep reading experiences positive.
- Allow your child to choose their own texts to read, even if they want to read an old favourite over and over and over.
- Give your child encouragement. Rather than just saying, ‘Good reading’, say ‘I like how you …’
- Visit local public libraries.
- Model reading books, newspapers, brochures, etc.
- Share post cards and letters from family.
- Ask your child questions about what they have read, such as ‘What was your favourite part?‘ or ‘What problems did the main character face?’
- Encourage your child to look and read text in the community such as road signs.
More next week, InshAllah.